Sunday, April 21, 2013

Working at a dungeon vs. being an independent Domina (part 1) by Claudia Typhoon

when I first became a Dominatrix it was at Mistress Jasmine's in midtown Manhattan. a few years later I became an independent Domina. there are certainly benefits and drawbacks to both. now, these are based upon specific details to the Dungeon of Mistress Jasmine's and my being independent so I'm sure some variations will arise.

the drawbacks to working at the dungeon was that I could not advertise for myself. I was not allowed to have a website, to put up ads or otherwise market myself. the dungeon has a website with all the house Dominatrices schedule and a gallery of their image listed. the owner was.......special (just like all dungeon owners that are male.) he would only put up ads sporadically and not advertise/market all the Dommes that were in employ there. I am more than aware being a Dominatrix is not a get rich career, but I still would like to make an income from it. it also arouses me to take a man's money and then his submission. how am I to do this when I'm not being marketed? also, you are required to work a certain amount of hours per week. usually 3 or 4,  6-8 hours shifts per week. and if you don't have any sessions that week? no new experience gained + no money in your pocket = time wasted and money lost (transportation and food cost). I loved hanging out with the other Dommes and never have I felt more connected to a group of women until I met Dommes, but still.....NYC is an expensive place. but the the things I learned were an investment and well worth the cost of my time.

on the plus side, Jasmine's has a beautiful facility, its very secure and well equipped. I was always grateful for the room to play, the thought out play-rooms and the cleanliness of the place. I did not have to screen my clients or filter through phone calls. I did not have to book sessions for myself. there were managers there to take care of all this for you. I met one of my favorite people in the BDSM world at Jasmine's, one of the manager's there. I could always trust her insight and advice when it came to either skills, following my intuition, and dealing with all other aspects of BDSM and clientele. having someone you can trust and rely upon in any industry is very important. also, because so many different types of people come into a dungeon, you really get a crash course in BDSM. you will learn and experience more things than you thought possible in a short amount of time.

I neither am against either working or visiting at Jasmine's nor do I endorse it, those decisions are up to your discretion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment